Community

Double Your Freelancing is the brainchild of Brennan Dunn, who started a multi-million dollar agency before deciding to exit it to focus on software products and, ultimately, this website and community.

Here you’ll hear all about what’s happening behind-the-scenes at DYF, along with upcoming conferences, meetups, and product launches.

How to participate in our community:

Our Promise To The Community:

• We’re focused on the business of freelancing. Everything we produce is aimed to help you build a better business.
  • We want to meet and learn from you. Either in the US or Europe.
  • All of our premium courses and products are backed by an unconditional money back guarantee. We stand by everything we sell.
  • We understand the role of a good story, but we’re chiefly interested in creating content that is directly and immediately applicable to you and your business.

If you’re not yet a part of our community, join for free here.

Whether through 4+ years of in-depth articles, premium courses, the conferences and events I host, or my podcast, my #1 goal is to help you become a more successful freelancer.

Brennan Dunn
Founder, DoubleYourFreelancing.com

Latest Articles On This Topic

Drip Pro Tools

What if you could only show your opt-in form to people who aren’t already on your mailing list?

And what if you could use the space you’ve been using for your opt-in form to promote your product if the person viewing is already a customer?

Or what if you could upsell your more premium products and services to your best customers?

Before Drip Pro Tools, this wasn’t easy to do. You could (and should) be doing something like this through email marketing automation campaigns, but your website should also be as intelligent as your email.

I’m Doubling Down On Double Your Freelancing

I’ve officially sold Planscope, my first product business, and I’m now more committed than ever to DoubleYourFreelancing. Today I’ll tell you a bit about why I sold the company, what I’ve been working on recently, and what’s next for the site and the community.

On November 26th, 2011 I made my first commit to the Planscope code repository.

That was a defining day for me. It was the beginning of a journey that has led to a portfolio of profitable, bootstrapped products. It was the first actual product I’d ever tried that was grounded in reality (thanks to 30×500) instead of being some “brilliant startup idea” thought up in the shower.

I started Planscope for the same reason most freelancers have product ambitions: I wanted to sever the relationship between time and money, and I wanted a lot of customers rather than a few clients.

Get involved in a local meetup with other business-minded freelancers

I’m going to try a little experiment.

A few weeks ago I surveyed my list. And one thing that kept coming up was that you wanted more community interaction… especially on a local level.

In 2015, we hosted our first Double Your Freelancing conference in Virginia and had freelancers from all over the world in attendance. This year, we’re kicking off another US conference and our first European conference.

But these are once a year conferences.

…What if business-minded freelancers and agency owners could get together regularly and talk shop, meet others, and grow together? What if the core theme of this community — helping people better understand the business behind their business — could be cultivated at a local level?

2015 Year In Review

2015 has been a wild ride.

Product revenue has doubled. I successfully hosted my first conference. And I pulled off my biggest course launch to date.

Most importantly, the amount of success stories and testimonials that hit my inbox each week has skyrocketed (in fact, I’ve had to hire someone whose only job is to catalog these case studies.)

Double Your Freelancing is working. It’s helped more people than I could ever have imagined truly master the business behind their business.

And we’re just getting started.

Why do I write a (public) annual review?

I’ve looked up to a lot of people over the years.

When I started my agency in 2008, I soaked in as much as I could from other people who were running agencies. At the time, I attended a few technical conferences each year — events like RubyConf, Mountain West Ruby, and so on.

I got to know a lot of agency owners and had the privilege of being able to ask them about the hows and the whats of how they ran their businesses. I met people like Obie Fernandez of Hashrocket, CJ Kilhbom of Elabs, Joe O’Brien and Jim Weirich (requiescat in pace) of Edgecase, Justin Gehtland of Relevance, and more. These hallway discussions led to me learning the business lessons that enabled me to hire 10 full-time employees and bring in millions a year in revenue.

A few years later, I got bit by the “product bug” — thanks largely to blog posts and such from friends I’ll mention in a bit. I knew that I was getting into a world I knew very little about. Sure, I’d built products for plenty of clients over the years, but many of them had fat marketing and PR budgets or, unfortunately, were bad product ideas that were dead long before my team had written any actual code.

Two Big Mistakes I Made When I Launched My Last Course

I want to share something with you that I haven’t made public until now.

As you know, in about 2 weeks I’m opening up the 2016 enrollment window for Double Your Freelancing Clients, a course I offer only once a year that teaches you how to build a system that will reliably bring your business in high-quality and high-budget clients.

Over the years, I’ve taught and authored a number of courses and have maintained high student success rates:

• Double Your Freelancing Rate, which has been taken by over 6,000 students, averages a 0.5% refund rate. I get a handful of success stories a week from students.
  • My Consultancy Masterclass, a small, high price 2-day workshop I taught for over two years, has had over 200 students and exactly one refund (from someone who, in retrospect, wasn’t a good fit).
  • …but the new course, Double Your Freelancing Clients, which had the best instruction and what I thought was the best setup I’ve ever baked into a product, had about a 4% refund rate — and a lot of students were going missing-in-action on me.

At first, I was stumped. What happened?

All Articles & Guides On This Topic

Join 50,000+ freelancers who get early access to new articles, guides, updates, and more.