Today I’m talking with Michael Port, author of Book Yourself Solid and four other bestselling books. I came across Book Yourself Solid at a bookstore when I first started freelancing, and loved the online marketing techniques he describes. He has been running Book Yourself Solid programs around the world and training freelancers for the past 14 years.
Michael describes six core self-promotion strategies that freelancers use, and more importantly goes into the backend of how to close sales and actually book business. He is a networking and direct outreach expert that has a daily routine to open doors and bring in clients. Even as an introvert, he has used public speaking, teaching and networking to create an international brand.
Today’s topics include:
- Freelancers need to design a marketing and self-promotion system for their business.
- Building credibility, pricing yourself right and being able to have simple sales conversations are more important than self-promotion strategies alone.
- Marketing doesn’t get you clients, it gets you awareness; what you do once you have that awareness is what gets you the business.
- There are 6 core self-promotion strategies: networking, direct outreach, referral, writing, public speaking, and web strategies; some of these are mandatory and some are not.
- Networking is developing deeper relationships with people you already know.
- Technology tactics might change, but the core strategies remain as the big picture.
- Don’t focus your energies on every platform out there and spread yourself too thin – it is overwhelming and distracting.
- Make sales offers that are proportionate to the amount of trust you’ve earned.
- Decide which self-promotion strategy will work for your ideal client.
- To get booked solid you only need a network of 90 people.
- You can add value to your network by regularly introducing people to contacts and information relevant to them.
- Helping others by reaching out to them is a more comfortable form of self-promotion than just trying to help yourself.
- Networking as an introvert can be made easier by connecting others and delivering on your promises.
Resources and links:
Contactually + Book Yourself Solid