Today I’m talking with Michael Port, author of Book Yourself Solid and four other bestselling books. I came across Book Yourself Solid at a bookstore when I first started freelancing, and loved the online marketing techniques he describes. He has been running Book Yourself Solid programs around the world and training freelancers for the past 14 years.
Michael describes six core self-promotion strategies that freelancers use, and more importantly goes into the backend of how to close sales and actually book business. He is a networking and direct outreach expert that has a daily routine to open doors and bring in clients. Even as an introvert, he has used public speaking, teaching and networking to create an international brand.
Today’s topics include:
- Freelancers need to design a marketing and self-promotion system for their business.
- Building credibility, pricing yourself right and being able to have simple sales conversations are more important than self-promotion strategies alone.
- Marketing doesn’t get you clients, it gets you awareness; what you do once you have that awareness is what gets you the business.
- There are 6 core self-promotion strategies: networking, direct outreach, referral, writing, public speaking, and web strategies; some of these are mandatory and some are not.
- Networking is developing deeper relationships with people you already know.
- Technology tactics might change, but the core strategies remain as the big picture.
- Don’t focus your energies on every platform out there and spread yourself too thin – it is overwhelming and distracting.
- Make sales offers that are proportionate to the amount of trust you’ve earned.
- Decide which self-promotion strategy will work for your ideal client.
- To get booked solid you only need a network of 90 people.
- You can add value to your network by regularly introducing people to contacts and information relevant to them.
- Helping others by reaching out to them is a more comfortable form of self-promotion than just trying to help yourself.
- Networking as an introvert can be made easier by connecting others and delivering on your promises.
With thanks to...
We'd like to take a moment and thank Freshbooks for supporting the Double Your Freelancing podcast.
So you’re racing against the clock to wrap up 3 projects, prepping for a meeting later in the afternoon all while trying to tackle a mountain of paperwork. Welcome to life as a freelancer.
Challenging? Yes, but our friends at FreshBooks believe the rewards are so worth it.
The working world has changed. With the growth of the internet there’s never been more opportunities for the self-employed. To meet this need, FreshBooks is excited to announce the launch of an all new version of their cloud accounting software! It’s been redesigned from the ground up and custom built for exactly the way you work. Get ready for the simplest way to be more productive, organized, and most importantly get paid quickly.
The all new FreshBooks is not only ridiculously easy to use, it’s also packed full of powerful features:
- Create and send professional looking invoices in less than 30 seconds.
- Set up online payments with just a couple of clicks and get paid up to 4 days faster.
- See when your client has seen your invoice, and put an end to the guessing games.
FreshBooks is offering a 30 day, unrestricted free trial to Double Your Freelancing podcast listeners. To claim your 30 day free trial, just go to http://FreshBooks.com/double and enter DOUBLE YOUR FREELANCING in the “How Did You Hear About Us?” section.
Our thanks to Freshbooks for helping support the Double Your Freelancing podcast.
Resources and links:
Like the Podcast? Help us!
If you enjoy the Double Your Freelancing podcast, support us to keep it going!
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Leave us a 5-star review on iTunes
- Share the podcast with your friends
Here is what one loyal listener had to say about the Double Your Freelancing podcast:
Brennan is a champ. He always has actionable items to follow and his advice is spot on. With his help I’ve already snagged a new project at a rate 3X my original rate. I like his guests and they add more depth to the show.
Hopefully the fact that your show of support will keep the podcast going is reward enough for you. But we want to sweeten the deal for you even further:
After you’ve published your review, send an email to [email protected]. You’ll get an exclusive video from Double Your Freelancing Conference — James Clear's talk on Developing Better Work Habits — absolutely free. Click here to make it happen!