Today I have an awesome interview with a long time student of mine, Eric White. When Eric started he was a typical commoditized freelancer, but he made the transition to high-value business consulting. He has a background in developing business software. He enjoyed working with people and was the guy who spoke with clients to find out what they wanted in their software products.
Eric’s current consulting work is understanding what clients actually want with their software. He wants to meet them in the right place and discover what the solution for their problems are. He likes the job of figuring out what is motivating each side and what they need to make the project happen. His specialty is the higher-level people portion of managing software projects.
Today’s topics include:
- Playing in the problem space can be more valuable than playing in the solution space
- Being able to articulate and understand problems is a skill that adds a lot of value
- Eric was going through his own business struggle when he came across Double Your Freelancing Rate
- Brennan showed him how as a consultant he can increase his value 10X
- People want more premium clients and to have more time to spend with family and work on goals, they want what making more offers as opposed to just doubling their rates
- It’s not what you actually do, it’s the value that it offers
- If you only look at the specification, you are not connecting in the most impactful way, looking at the means to the end that you provide will better able you to provide what they need
- Understanding what motivates the customer makes things much easier
- Think about where you have been extremely satisfied with service and try to emulate that, perfect service solutions are smart and really resonate
Resources and links:
- Twitter @EricMWhite
- Eric’s Website
- Double Your Freelancing Conference Stockholm, Sweden
- Jobs to Be Done – Re-Wired Group
- Strategies and Tactics for Pricing
Like the Podcast? Help us!
If you enjoy the Double Your Freelancing podcast, support us to keep it going!
- Subscribe on iTunes
- Leave us a 5-star review on iTunes
- Share the podcast with your friends
Here is what one loyal listener had to say about the Double Your Freelancing podcast:
Brennan is a champ. He always has actionable items to follow and his advice is spot on. With his help I’ve already snagged a new project at a rate 3X my original rate. I like his guests and they add more depth to the show.
Hopefully the fact that your show of support will keep the podcast going is reward enough for you. But we want to sweeten the deal for you even further:
After you’ve published your review, send an email to [email protected]. You’ll get an exclusive video from Double Your Freelancing Conference — James Clear's talk on Developing Better Work Habits — absolutely free. Click here to make it happen!